Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Protect your Dachshie's Health!

Just like for us humans... prevention, prevention, prevention!

Here's a great article that I found on some of the top Health issues specifically for Dachshunds.

My two little girls were supposedly "Minis", though they couldn't guarantee that they'd be Mini's. And since they're both over 11lbs, they certainly not. But they are "Tweenies" -- at a whopping 14-15lbs.

We have really tried to reduce their weight. We walk the dogs regularly and also feed them less food. We now give them 1/3 c of food each in the morning and evening. I was told that that wasn't too much. But when we give them less, they are still wandering the house and yard looking for anything to eat!

I've heard of course about the issues with the back, so we are trying to be as cautious and healthy for them as possible.

They are totally our little children. :)

7 comments:

Sue Fell said...

And if they have been speyed or neutered they need a third less food otherwise they will put on weight.

WorldTravelista said...

Interesting, thanks northern star... I didn't know that! :) That could be why....

Sue Fell said...

Yeah my vet told me that. I found it hard to reduce my Max's food after he was neutered and he piled on the weight. I then reduced by a third and he soon got back to his original weight.

Dogman2 said...

My Dachshund is a little gangster at 10LB he hasn't stopped running around since we got him. I only feed my two dogs homemade food and leave a little dry food out for them to munch on. After reading so many articles about what's in dog it really makes you wonder. There was also another recall of dog food that I only just posted yesterday on my Blog....Also I would like to say that you have a nice Blog...Keep up the good work...The Dogman2...

Cool Papa said...

It's hard not to over feed your "babies", I have the same problem with my birds.

I have to change the food dish contents a few times so I don't over feed.

what a cute little doggie.

debi_in_Hawaii said...

Hi
My (fellow Blogger) sister did a search and found your blog for me (I have yet to figure out how to search for blogs LOL)
I'm another peace-loving Dachshund owner.
I will let another Dachshund owner know (she loves Italian cooking too) and she should be popping in here shortly LOL

tozcal2009 said...

Those 3 Dachshund really are adorable. I love their short little legs and huge ears. My black Great Dane looked at me like one of them in the photo. What a comparison, I know...
And those ears also remind me my Dane. I believe you that you love them as if they were your children. Such darlings... Hmmm, and they keep you busy watching their weight.